- 2/3 cup white corn flour
- 4 oz costeño cheese
- 1/2 tsp anise
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tsp butter
- Place the corn flour in a bowl.
- Grate the cheese and add cheese and anise to the flour.
- Add the warm water; mix with a spatula.
- Leave to rest for 10 minutes then knead for 2 to 3 minutes.
- To form the corn cakes make 4 circles about 4-inches wide and 1/2-inch thick.
- Grease a skillet or arepas pan with butter. Place each corn cake on the skillet or arepas pan and cook until slightly browned.