Eating fewer carbs can mean more stable energy and blood sugars for both people with and without diabetes; read for appealing recipe ideas
Dig into the details of the Healthfulness of eggs
Read Article on CuenaHighLife: Need eggs? Come to Cuenca!
Carrot Cake Banana Bread
- 2 Ripe Bananas
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 TBSP Agave Syrup
- 1/2 Cup Canola Oil
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cup Flour-All Purpose
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 Cup Carrots-Shredded
- 1/3 Cup Pecans-Chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, mash bananas and add brown sugar, agave, egg, canola oil, and vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt. Add cinnamon and nutmeg. Add dry ingredients to the mashed banana mixture and combine. It does not have to be completely combined. Stir in carrots and pecans. Spread batter into oiled or lined loaf pan and top with additional pecans. Bake for 60 minutes. Serve warm.
Sausage & Kale Stir Fry
- 1 lb turkey smoked sausage cut into pieces
- 1 whole green bell pepper sliced
- 1 whole red bell pepper sliced
- 1 whole yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1 small onion sliced
- 1 bunch kale stems removed
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp creole seasoning
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat and add oil. Add in bell peppers, onions, and garlic to skillet and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add smoked sausage to skillet and cook until slightly browned. Add kale and seasonings, and cook until kale has wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper. Enjoy!
- 1 clove garlic
- 12.5 g pine kernels
- 50 g basil leaves
- 6.25 cl olive oil extra virgin
Fresh Pesto (you can make this in advance)
- We'll be using a food processor to make the pesto. Put the garlic, pine kernels and some salt in there and process briefly.
- Add the basil leaves (but keep some for the presentation) and blend to a green paste.
- While processing, gradually add the olive oil and finally add the Parmesan cheese.
Finishing the dish
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil and cook your tagliatelle al dente.
- Use the cooking time of the pasta to sauté your bacon strips.
- After about 8 to 10 minutes, the pasta should be done. Drain it and put it back in the pot to mix it with the pesto.
- Present the dish with some fresh basil leaves on top.
Source: Home | Cook With Me TV
Is anyone else a fan of quick recipes?? This Easy 30 Minute Kale and Sausage Stir Fry is so flavorful and delicious, AND only take 30 minutes to prepare!
JustATaste.Com offers this baked cauliflower recipe to substitute for tater tots.
This homemade hot pockets recipe will be relatively high calorie and high sodium because of the cheese and bread. Make these healthier by using whole grain flour. When you prepare the pepperoni, precook it in the microwave on paper towels or choose very low fat turkey pepperoni to reduce the saturated fat.
Roasted Cinnamon-Sugar Chickpeas
yield: ABOUT 2 CUPS
Crunchy, sweet, healthy, vegan, gluten-free
- 1 (15-ounce) can chick peas (garbanzos)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar or packed light/dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment. Set aside.
In a large strainer, rinse and drain the chickpeas very well to remove the starch. Spread them out onto prepared baking sheet and pat very, very dry. The drier the chickpeas, the crunchier they will be. The skin of the bean may peel off as you pat them dry. That is ok. You may remove the skins or leave them on.
Once 100% dry, place chickpeas into the oven and roast for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove from the oven and drizzle with olive oil. Using a large spoon or spatula, mix the beans around to make sure they are all evenly coated. Mix the cinnamon and sugar together and sprinkle over beans. Mix around very well to heavily coat each bean. Make sure each bean is thoroughly coated. Add more cinnamon-sugar if you’d like. Place back into the oven and roast for another 15 minutes.
Leaving the chickpeas inside, turn the oven off and crack open the door slightly. Allow the chickpeas to sit inside as the oven cools down for 30 minutes. This will help them get crunchier as opposed to sitting at room temperature. Chickpeas are crunchiest on day 1. Store at room temperature.