Moroccan Roast Chicken
Paprika, fresh mint, and lemon are a great tasting rub for this roast chicken. It roasts slowly under the foil and turns out so juicy and flavorful. Baby carrots and cut potatoes makes it a full meal!
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground fennel seed,
- 1/8 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 tbsp Hungarian paprika
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 3 tbsp Bertolli extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb small red potatoes, quartered
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 2 small lemons
- 1 (4 pound) roasting chicken, rinsed and patted dry
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- For the spice mix: Mix together in a bowl the cloves, pepper, fennel, sesame seeds, coriander, cumin, allspice, nutmeg, ginger and cardamom. Set aside.
- For the spice paste: Place the paprika, lemon juice, the spice mix (from Step 2), salt, chopped mint, black pepper and garlic cloves in a blender. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and blend until ingredients are mixed, about 6 or 8 pulses. Slowly add the additional olive oil if mixture seems too thick to spread. Blend just until mixture is a smooth paste.
- Spread potatoes and carrots in a roasting pan. Rub about 1/4 of the spice paste inside the cavity of the chicken. Rub the remainder of the paste on the outside of the chicken including the underside. Place the chicken directly on the carrots and potatoes. Pierce the 2 lemons all over with a fork, and place them into the chicken cavity.
- Tent the chicken with aluminum foil. Roast approximately 2 hours until the thickest part of the thigh reaches 180 degrees F (80 degrees C) and the juices run clear. Remove from the oven and let rest for about 10 minutes before serving. If desired, remove the tent after 90 minutes for a little crispier skin.
Calories: 789kcal | Carbohydrates: 32.7g | Protein: 64.9g | Fat: 45.2g | Saturated Fat: 11.1g | Cholesterol: 194mg | Sodium: 996mg | Potassium: 1348mg | Fiber: 7.2g | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 6mg