Chickpea Fritters (Falafel)
- 1 lb dried chickpeas
- 2 green onions
- 2 cups white onion
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- Cover chickpeas in water in a large pot and soak overnight at room temperature.
- Finely chop the white onion; chop green onions, parsley and garlic.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Place in a food processor along with the green onion, white onion, parsley, garlic, lemon juice, flour, salt, coriander, cumin, black pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Pulse until mixture reaches a course meal to paste texture. (Do not over process). You may have to do this in 2 batches depending on size of your food processor. Once done, blend together with a fork and remove any large pieces of chickpeas.
- Refrigerate the falafel mixture for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Use a scoop or roll mixture into 24 balls; add directly into muffin tin. Place in the oven and bake for 7 minutes. Remove, turn falafel over, and then bake 7 minutes longer.
Serving: 3falafels | Calories: 278kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 239mg | Potassium: 548mg | Fiber: 7g | Calcium: 67mg | Phosphorus: 170mg