Chicken Cacciatore for the Instant Pot(R)
Using the Instant Pot(R), you get an intensely flavorful meal made in minutes that will have your family thinking you simmered this all day. Serve over rice, cauliflower rice or eat as a stew!
- 4 (6 ounce)s bone-in chicken thighs, with skin
- 2 tbsp Bertolli olive oil
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 tsp teaspoons herbes de Provence
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 cubes chicken bouillon, crumbled
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 pinch ground black pepper (optional)
- Rinse chicken thighs and pat dry with paper towels. Heat oil in the pot of an electric pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot(R)) on "Saute" mode; add chicken. Cook until browned, about 6 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate, reserving drippings in the pot.
- Place celery, onion, and mushrooms in the pot; cook and stir until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Place chicken back in the pot; add tomatoes and tomato paste. Sprinkle with herbes de Provence. Top with water and Better than bouillon.
- Close and lock the lid. Select high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build. Cook for 11 minutes.
- Release pressure carefully using the quick-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, about 5 minutes. Unlock and remove lid carefully, turning it away from you. Test chicken for doneness; an instant-read thermometer inserted near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Season the chicken to taste with red pepper flakes and black pepper.
- If a thicker sauce is desired, remove chicken and bring sauce to a boil on "Saute" mode. Cook until reduced and thickened.
Substituting a low-sodium chicken broth for the water and chicken bouillon will greatly reduce the sodium in this recipe.
Serving: 4oz | Calories: 392kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 96mg | Sodium: 1073mg | Potassium: 715mg | Fiber: 3g | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 4mg