Cauliflower and Broccoli Mac-n-Cheese Bake
- 12 oz penne pasta, uncooked
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups Rice Dream® Classic original rice drink
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup panko-style bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Bring water to a boil. Add pasta and undercook by 2 minutes.
- In a separate covered pot, steam broccoli and cauliflower florets for 5 minutes or until tender. Remove and set aside. Discard liquid from pot.
- Finely chop onion and garlic cloves. Using the same pot, over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter then add onion and garlic. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, until tender. Add flour and whisk for one minute. Whisk in rice drink and season with pepper and nutmeg. Stir until thickened, then stir in the spicy mustard.
- Mix all three cheeses together. Add 2/3 of the combined cheeses to the sauce and stir until cheese is melted.
- Drain pasta. Add cauliflower and broccoli then stir in the cheese sauce.
- Spray a 9” x 12” baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and pour in the pasta mixture. Top with the remaining combined cheeses.
- Place baking pan in the oven on top of a baking sheet to catch bubble over. After 30 minutes of baking, increase heat to 400° F. Sauté remaining 1 tablespoon butter with 1 cup panko bread crumbs and add to top of casserole. Cook additional 8 to 10 minutes until bread crumbs are browned.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 442kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 18g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 308mg | Potassium: 278mg | Fiber: 2g | Calcium: 318mg | Phosphorus: 315mg