Healthy Mexican Soup
A spicy Mexican soup with hidden healthy ingredients. Very easy to adapt and personalize! The pasta, tofu, and wheat germ are optional, but they add a lot of health benefits! It's hard to go wrong with this recipe. If you have a little more or a little less of certain items, dump them all together and see what you think!
- 1 28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 cup frozen corn, or more to taste
- 1 up whole wheat rotini pasta
- 2 slices medium-firm tofu, cubed
- 1/4 cup wheat germ, or more to taste
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco®), or to taste
- 1/2 cup Pace® medium salsa
Combine diced tomatoes, water, kidney beans, corn, rotini, tofu, wheat germ, hot pepper sauce, and salsa in a pot; bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until rotini are tender, about 20 minutes. Optional: Dress it up a little with a teaspoon of sour cream, cilantro leaves, and a sprinkle of grated cheddar. Yum!
Calories: 313kcal | Carbohydrates: 58g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 598mg | Potassium: 612mg | Fiber: 13g | Calcium: 215mg | Iron: 7mg