Garlicky Mashed Potatoes
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup 1% low fat milk
- Peel and slice the potatoes into small pieces. Double-boil to reduce potassium if you are on a low potassium diet. (see Notes.)
- Boil potatoes and garlic over medium heat until soft.
- Drain off cooking water.
- Whip potatoes and garlic with beater, slowly adding butter and milk until whipped smooth.
- Double the garlic for a stronger garlic flavor.
- Potatoes are very high in potassium but you can remove part of the potassium by using one of these methods:
- Double boil method: Peel and small dice potatoes. Place in a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Drain the water and add fresh water to the pot. Bring to a boil, cook for 10 minutes then drain and prepare as desired.
- Leaching method: Peel and dice potatoes. Place in a large pot of warm tap water and soak for 2 to 4 hours. Drain and cook as desired.
- Leached potatoes can be blanched and frozen in batches. To blanch vegetables, add to boiling water for one minute, remove and rinse in cold water before freezing.
- *Potassium content taken from reference values for double-boiling small peeled and diced potatoes.