Harvest Wild Rice
Autumn flavors make this the perfect rice to pair with cornish game hens or stuff the turkey for a delectable change from the same old stuffing.
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking wild rice, uncooked
- 2 cups apples
- 3/4 cup carrots
- 1/4 cup celery
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried whole sage
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup converted rice, uncooked
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 fresh sage sprig (optional)
- Combine raisins and 1/4 cup hot water; let stand 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Prepare quick-cooking wild rice according to package directions. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- Chop apples, celery and bell pepper. Shred carrot.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over a medium-high heat until hot. Add apple, celery, green pepper and carrot; sauté until crisp-tender. Remove skillet from heat and set aside.
- Combine 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, sage and pepper in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir in converted rice. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Remove pan from heat; stir in reserved raisins, wild rice, apple mixture and juice of 1 lemon. Cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with a fresh sage sprig, if desired.
Calories: 112kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 148mg | Potassium: 155mg | Fiber: 2g | Calcium: 21mg | Phosphorus: 39mg