Beef and Barley Stew
- 1 cup pearl barley, uncooked
- 1 lb lean beef stew meat
- 2 tbsp all-purpose white flour
- 1/2 tsp teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1 large stalk celery
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp Mrs. Dash® onion herb seasoning
- Soak barley in 2 cups of water for 1 hour.
- Dice onion and celery. Mince garlic clove. Slice carrots 1/4-inch thick. Cut beef into 1-1/2 inch cubes.
- Place flour, black pepper and stew meat in a plastic bag. Shake to dust stew meat with flour.
- Heat oil in a heavy 4-quart pot and brown the stew meat. Remove meat from pot.
- Sauté and stir onion, celery and garlic in meat drippings for 2 minutes. Add 2 quarts of water and bring to a boil. Return meat to the pot. Add bay leaves and salt. reduce heat to a simmer.
- Drain and rinse barley, then add to the pot. Cover and cook for 1 hour. Stir every 15 minutes.
- After 1 hour add sliced carrots and Mrs. Dash® herb seasoning. Simmer for another hour. Add additional water if needed to prevent sticking.
For a CKD non-dialysis lower protein diet, decrease beef to 8 ounces per recipe. Protein will be decreased to 14 grams per serving.
Calories: 246kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 51mg | Sodium: 222mg | Potassium: 369mg | Fiber: 6g | Calcium: 30mg | Phosphorus: 175mg