- 1 cup potatoes
- 3 cups cauliflower
- 1 tbsp margarine
- 1/4 cup half & half
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Peel potato and cut into small cubes. Soak or double-boil to reduce potassium if you are on a low potassium diet (see helpful hints below).
- In a medium-size pot, boil cauliflower and potatoes for 25 minutes. Drain and place in food processor or mixing bowl.
- Add margarine, half & half and salt (optional). Process or mix on high speed until smooth. Serve hot.
Potatoes are very high in potassium but you can remove part of the potassium by using one of these methods:
Double cook method: Peel and dice potatoes. Place in a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Drain the water and add fresh water to the pot. Bring to a boil, cook for 10 minutes then drain and set aside.
Leaching method: Peel and dice potatoes. Place in a large pot of warm tap water and soak for 2 to 4 hours. Drain and set aside.
Skip step # 1 if you are not on a low potassium diet.
- Omit salt if adding other sodium containing toppings such as gravy, salted butter, etc. Sodium content per portion is 37 milligrams prepared without salt.
- Frozen cauliflower can be substituted for fresh.
- Freeze extra portions for later meal. Reheat in microwave.