Avocado Shrimp Ceviche
Ceviche is a quick and delightfully delicious way to "cook" shrimp. Attractive to look at and scrumptious to eat!
- 2 lbs large shrimp - peeled, deveined and chopped
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 5 roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp hot pepper sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced
- chopped green onion for garnish if desired
Place the shrimp and lime juice into a large bowl, and stir to coat. Let stand for about 5 minutes, or until shrimp are opaque. The lime juice will cook them. Mix in the tomatoes, onion, and cilantro until coated with lime juice; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Remove from the refrigerator, and mix in the Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, hot sauce, salt and pepper. You can leave the hot sauce out and let people add their own when serving if that is preferred.
Serve in glass tumblers and top with avocado pieces and green onion. Set out extra Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, lime wedges and hot sauce for people to individualize their dish. Serve with whole grain crackers.
- You can save a couple of whole shrimps to dangle on the edge of the tumbler for a special presentation. The lime and the cilantro are the key, and of course fresh shrimp.
Calories: 176kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 5.5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 173mg | Sodium: 346mg | Potassium: 472mg | Fiber: 3g | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 4mg