- 3 tbsp margarine
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 cup whey protein powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder (if soft cookies are desired)
Preheat oven to 325°F. In a mixing bowl, beat margarine and brown sugar. Blend in egg and vanilla. Combine remaining ingredients. Mix will be very dry. (You can add 1 tablespoon of molasses or water to make it stick together.) Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray. Roll batter into 1-inch balls and place on cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Use old fashioned or quick cooking oatmeal. Avoid instant oatmeal because sodium content is much higher.
- Omit baking powder for a crunchy cookie. Phosphorus will decrease to 42 mg per serving and sodium decreases to 146 mg.
- Soy protein powder may be used but nutrient content will change. Soy protein is usually higher in phosphorus compared to whey protein powder. Ask your dietitian for a list of recommended protein powders that are lowest in phosphorus and potassium.
Serving: 2cookies | Calories: 140kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 192mg | Potassium: 60mg | Fiber: 1g | Calcium: 67mg | Phosphorus: 80mg